The RDBN's Start-up Business contest promotes and supports new and start-up small businesses within the Regional District of Bulkley-Nechako (RDBN).
- Entrants must be age 19 or older at time of entry.
- Proposed business must be ready to begin start-up process within 6 months of contest closing.
- Existing small businesses must have been in business no longer than two years from contest opening.
- Existing businesses must have plans to doversify with 6 months of contest closing.
Businesses must be located in one of the following communities:
- Area 1: Smithers, Telkwa, and Electoral Area "A" (Smithers Rural)
- Area 2: Houston, Granisle, Topley, and Elecotoral Area "G" (Houston Rural)
- Area 3: Burns Lake, Electoral Area "B" (Burns Lake Rural) and Electoral Area "E" (Francois/Ootsa Rural)
- Area 4: Fraser Lake, Endako, Fort Fraser, and Electoral Area "D" (Fraser Lake Rural)
- Area 5: Vanderhoof, and Electoral Area "F" (Vanderhoof Rural)
- Area 6: Fort St James, and Electoral Area "C" (Fort St. James Rural)
Following the entry deadline the selection panel will review all entries and the top five finalists will be selected. The finalists will be notified and they will advance to Stages 2 and 3 of the contest. Finalists will provide additional materials to the selection panel, deliver a concept pitch, and be interviewed by the selection committee at the Business Forum. The finalists will attend the Gala Dinner for the announcement of the Start-up Business Contest winner.