Composter Rebate Program Available
Would you like to enjoy the benefits of composting AND join the movement to reduce waste in the Regional District of Bulkley-Nechako (RDBN)?
The RDBN is now offering a Composter Rebate Program
Purchase a composter at participating Bulkley-Nechako retailers and receive a $30 rebate after completing the rebate form at the till. Various styles available, check with your local store! Click on the Link for more details.
Did you know that over 30% of the household waste send to the landfill is organic matter, which can be composted? Composting is a natural process involving the decomposition of organic material (fruit and vegetable scraps, leaves, grass clippings) into a soil-like product called compost or humus. The process works with the help of micro-organisms, such as bacteria and fungi, combined with air and moisture. Humus, the end-product of the compost process, is an extremely nutritious, natural soil supplement that improves plant growth and reduces soil erosion. Composting is an easy and inexpensive way to become more environmentally friendly.
Here is what you need to do:
- Choose a flat, partly shady area of your backyard that has good drainage.
- Purchase or construct a compost bin – should be ideally 1m3 in size.
- Layer 6-10 cm of straw, leaves or woody brushy material on the bottom of your bin to promote air circulation.
- Fill bin with alternating layers of green material (fruit/veggie scraps, grass clippings) and brown material (dead leaves, shredded newspaper).
- Mix compost every 1-2 weeks to aerate it and allow contents to generate heat.
- Continue adding alternating layers of material, making sure bin contents stay moist.
- You will know the compost is finished when the material at the bottom of the bin is dark and rich in colour, with no remnants of food or yard waste.
Check out our Backyard Composting and Vermicomposting brochures for more details!