The Agricultural Land Reserve is regulated by the Provincial Agricultural Land Commission (ALC) and can be thought of as a provincial land use zone in which agriculture is recognized as the priority use. Farming is encouraged and non-agricultural uses are regulated. If you wish to subdivide or use your land for non-farm purposes or exclude your land from the ALR, you must submit an application to the ALC Application Form

ALC Application Form

Four types of applications are considered by the Board, such as: 

  • Application for Subdivision (including Homesite Severance Applications)
  • Non-farm Use Applications (including applications for additional dwellings)
  • Exclusion applications
  • Inclusion applications.

The time required to process an ALR application varies depending on the scale of the proposed development and the number of issues that need to be addressed.  Generally, the process takes a minimum of four months, and as long as a year.

Agricultural Land Commission Website