For Immediate Release
February 21, 2020
Parks and Outdoor Recreation Services Study Open Houses - Additional Location
Across the Regional District of Bulkley-Nechako, a common value amongst residents is access to nature and the ability to enjoy the outdoors in all seasons. Currently the RDBN does not have a department focused on parks and outdoor recreation in rural areas, and outdoor recreation is predominantly managed by the provincial government and a variety of non-profit societies that operate and maintain outdoor recreation assets.
Over the past four months the RDBN has been working with a consultant to develop a feasibility study that aims to understand the needs and demands for outdoor recreation across the region. The feasibility study involved interviewing 42 non-profit clubs and societies as well as a public online survey. The findings from the interviews and surveys are being used to develop options and associated taxation structures for how the RDBN could enhance and provide sustainable funding for outdoor recreational services.
The RDBN will be hosting open house sessions throughout the region to share findings from the feasibility study and receive input regarding options for delivering outdoor recreation services. The dates, times and locations for the open house sessions are below:
- Cluculz Lake - 5:00 PM to 8:00 PM on Wednesday, February 26th at the Cluculz Lake Community Hall (3385 Lund Rd). At this open house residents can provide feedback on both the Electoral Area F Official Community Plan Review and the Outdoor Recreation Feasibility Study.
- Vanderhoof – 5:00 PM to 7:30 PM on Tuesday, March 3rd at the Integris Community Centre (186 Columbia Street)
- Fort St James – 5:00 PM to 7:30 PM on Wednesday, March 4th at the Fort St. James Community Centre (190 Stuart Drive East)
- Fraser Lake - 11:30 AM to 1:30 PM on Monday, March 9th at Autumn Services (111 Chowsunket Drive)
- Burns Lake – 5:00 PM to 7:30 PM on Monday, March 9th at the Lakeside Multiplex (103 Flogum Street)
- Houston – 5:00 PM to 7:30 PM on Tuesday, March 10th at the Houston Community Hall (2302 Butler Ave)
- Smithers – 5:00 PM to 7:30 PM on Wednesday, March 11th at the Old Church (3704 1st Ave)
RSVP is not required and residents can drop by the session at any time.
If residents are not able to participate in the open houses, further information regarding the feasibility study is available through the RDBN’s website (www.rdbn.bc.ca/recreation).
- 30 -
Gerry Thiessen, Chair - 250-567-0567
Regional District of Bulkley-Nechako
RDBN’s website: (www.rdbn.bc.ca/recreation)
Call: 250-692-3195 or 1-800-320-3339