A Draft of the Proposed New Zoning Bylaw is Available
for Public Review
The RDBN has prepared a preliminary draft of a proposed new zoning bylaw for the rural area of the RDBN.
We welcome your input!
Why is a new zoning bylaw needed?
It is important to keep the Zoning Bylaw relevant and updated to reflect changes in legislation, planning law, and land use and development trends. There is also opportunity to improve the bylaws clarity and effectiveness.
How can you participate?
Public engagement is an important part of the process. The RDBN’s Planning Department will be hosting open houses across the region to provide opportunities for public consultation and input. The open house schedule is shown below.
We want to hear from you!
If you cannot attend an open house and wish to provide input, or discuss the draft of the proposed new zoning bylaw please email your comments or questions to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail them to the RDBN Planning Department, PO Box 820, Burns Lake, V0J 1E0.
What does a Zoning Bylaw Do?
The zoning bylaw contains regulations relating to the use and development of land in the rural area of the RDBN. This includes regulations relating to the following:
- The use and density of land, buildings and other structures.
- The siting, size and dimensions of buildings and other structures and permitted uses.
- The location of uses on the land and within buildings and other structures.
- The shape, dimensions and area of all parcels of land created by subdivision, including minimum and maximum parcel sizes).
- And, minimum landscaping, screening, and parking requirements.
What happens Next?
Following the public consultation and referral process, the bylaw will enter the formal approval process. This includes presenting the bylaw to the Regional District Board for consideration of first and second reading. This is followed by the holding of a Public Hearing. This process is anticipated to begin in March 2019.
Draft Zoning Bylaw Documents
- See the preliminary draft of the revised zoning bylaw for consideration and comment at the following link
- We have set up an interactive mapping website of the revised zoning bylaw to make it easy for you to see the zoning of your property. See the interactive map by clicking the link below!
Please note that the link is only for checking the draft zoning mapping. For any other mapping purposes, please use the RDBN web mapping site found here: https://www.rdbn.bc.ca/planning-department/mapping
- Paper copies and draft maps can also be viewed at the Regional District office in
Click here for a complete summary of the process and key changes made to the Zoning Bylaw Zoning Bylaw Review Summary
At the November 29, 2018 Regioinal District of Bulkley-Nechako Board meeting the RDBN Board of Directors resolved the following:
“That the Regional District of Bulkley-Nechako Board of Directors direct staff to undertake a referral and public consultation process for the draft zoning bylaw.”
Click here for Frequently Asked Questions