Grand Opening June 10, 2023 at 11:00 am
at the Cycle 16 Kiosk Site
(adjacent to the former Par 3 Golf course)
- June 10, 2022 - RDBN and Cycle 16 Groundbreaking Ceremony for Smithers-Laidlaw Commuter Trail
The Cycle 16 Trail Society and the Regional District of Bulkley-Nechako are working together on the development of a non-motorized trail which will link the Town of Smithers and the Village of Telkwa. It will run along Highway 16 in the Right-Of-Way. Covering approximately 11 km, it is to be shared by users of all types, benefiting locals and tourists alike. The trail will be open to all non-motorized users, including cyclists, rollerbladers, walkers & runners. Current plans are for a paved 3-meter-wide trail with a yellow center line. The construction of the Cycle 16 trail has been divided into 3 phases. The trail is expected to open to the public in spring of 2023.
Phase 1: Smithers Bridge to Babine Lake Road, 3.7 kilometers. It is in the Detailed Design phase.
Phase 2: Babine Lake Road to the highway rest area between Donaldson Road and Raymond Road, 3.6 kilometres. This will involve a crossing of Highway 16. It is in the Concept Design phase.
Phase 3: Highway rest area to Telkwa, 3.2 kilometers. The final phase, it is in the Concept Design phase.
Further information can be found here:
- Concept Design Report for the Cycle 16 Trail
- Preliminary Design of Phase 1 of the Cycle 16 Trail
- Maintenance Cost Estimate Report for Phase 1 of the Cycle 16 Trail
- 90% detailed design drawings for Phase 1 of the Cycle 16 Trail
- Cycle 16 / RDBN Memorandum of Understanding
or by visiting the Cycle 16 Trail Society web page at:
If you have questions, comments, or concerns about this project, please contact the Regional District Planning Department at email@example.com , or call 250-692-3195.